new user questions. (Before I back myself into a corner!)

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 17:13:04 UTC 2010

On 26 Nov 2010 at 22:18, Polytropon wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:53:51 -0500, Chris Brennan
> <xaero at xaerolimit.net> wrote: > There are two options that I know of
> that could make this part easier for > you > > 1) screen (tried and
> true) can do split windows/multiple windows although > I've never been
> able to correctly figure it out > > 2) tmux (the pretentious upstart),
> it's a quick install and it's built in > help (^b?) is eternally
> useful and it's options make more sense then screen > (to me at least)
>
> Along with the Spanish Inquisition, there are three! Three!
> Three options: screen, tmux, and the native solution of
> virtual terminals via Alt+PFx switch. This even allows
> you to use the mouse-driven edit buffer (copy + paste),
> e. g. if you need to compose a command line using the
> examples listed in the man page.
>
> If you're accessing a system remotely, there is also the
> option of opening -- FOUR! Four options! -- the option
> of opening more than one connection to the remote system,
> and each of them in an own xterm (or KDE Konsole tab
> which I would say if I had been using KDE, but I haven't).
> Of course, this solution also allows you copy + paste
> operations. Other means of accessibility are provided by
> the window manager you're using.
>
> Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! :-)
>

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

Hi.

As I now have ssh working, I can indeed have multiple logins running in
indipendant windows on another box.   (because I have it) I'm using PuTTY
on Win2k.  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

It appears to work well.

I now have another problem of the BSD flavor (inabiltiy to 'su') but I've
already asked that in another post.

Thanks.

Dave B.

PS:	Do I detect a Monty Python fan?  ;-)