new user questions. (Before I back myself into a corner!)

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 17:06:08 UTC 2010

On 26 Nov 2010 at 9:53, Ryan Coleman wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2010, at 8:53 AM, Chris Brennan wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Dave <dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>  Yes, I found that, good info.  I'm relying on the freebsd.org site
> >>  man
> >> pages and documentation among others, as I'm finding it too
> >> inconvenient (bad short term memory) using the man pages on the
> >> system.  At least I can have the website pages open on a nearby
> >> laptop.
> >>
> > There are two options that I know of that could make this part
> > easier for you
> >
> > 1) screen (tried and true) can do split windows/multiple windows
> > although I've never been able to correctly figure it out
> I second screen.
>
> /usr/ports/sysutils/screen/

Ryan, thanks, but no 'ports' is installed on this box, it was built with
a net install, from a V8.0 boot disk, earlier this year (April if memory
serves.)

I find now, that Sysinstall's ports management utility, has to be "told"
to go look for V8.1 stuff (the Options page) else it just whinges about
not being able to login to the repository ftp servers.

Cheers.

Dave B.