Samba Access Like Windows Explorer

Jason C. Wells jcw at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 25 18:57:18 UTC 2010

Is it possible to access samba shares much like windows explorer does?

The ultimate solution would be UNC names with browsing.  I would very
much like to have my freebsd client see the network namespace in as
similar fashion to windows as possible.

I also would like to avoid having to duplicate the hierarchy of mount
points (for mount_smbfs) on every freebsd client in order to achieve
this.  Nautilus access the samba shares this way, but I want this work
on the command line.  Plus I prefer Thunar, which doesn't do samba
access at all.

As it stands, I think I will have to mount all samba shares on a freebsd
client into a top level directory named for the server name, with mount
points sprinkled about.

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells