freebsd PHP extensions: missing option ?

n dhert ndhertbsd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 08:44:55 UTC 2010

There is something I would like clarified with PHP extension options...

# cd /usr/ports/lang/php52-extensions
# make showconfig | grep PDO
     PDO=on "PHP Data Objects Interface (PDO)"
     PDO_SQLITE=on "PDO sqlite driver"
This corresponds with
# cat /var/db/ports/php5-extensions/options | grep PDO
WITH_PDO=true
WITH_PDO_SQLITE=true

However, the interactive menu, displays one more option: PDO_MYSQL
# cd /usr/ports/lang/php52-extensions
# make config
      [X] PDO         PHP Data Objects Interface (PDO)
      [X] PDO_SQLITE  PDO sqlite driver
      [X] PDO_MYSQL   PDO mysql driver

--> 1st question: why does the options file not contain a
WITH_PDO_MYSQL=true line ?

and if I further look:
$ pkg_info | grep pdo
php52-pdo-5.2.14_1  The pdo shared extension for php
php52-pdo_mysql-5.2.14_1 The pdo_mysql shared extension for php
php52-pdo_pgsql-5.2.14_1 The pdo_pgsql shared extension for php
php52-pdo_sqlite-5.2.14_1 The pdo_sqlite shared extension for php

$ grep pdo /usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.so
extension=pdo_sqlite.so
extension=pdo_pgsql.so

in a web browser phpinfo.php also tells me:
 PDO support          enabled
 PDO drivers          pgsql, sqlite, mysql

So I also have and use also pdo_pgsql

The interactive menu for php5 extensions does not provide a [ ] PDO_PGSQL
option

--> 2nd question: why not such an option in the interactive menu?

Some other ports need pdo_pgsql and install it along with the port as a
dependency, e.g.  davical. I installed that in march 2010 and did several
portugprades (0.9.7.6, 0.9.8.1, 0.9.8.4 - no problems). But from version
0.9.9 onwards davical doesn't want to portupgrade any longer and throws a
message  'Unknown extension pdo_pgsql for PHP52' ...

This must be related with the configuration of php extensions, but the file
/var/db/ports/php5-extensions/options  should not be edited manually.

3rd question: How to solve this?