How long laptop battery should live ?

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Tue Nov 23 22:27:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Julian Fagir <gnrp at physik.tu-berlin.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I just looked into a batt for my daughters dell, her li-on lasted 14
> > months, now on "full" charge it only lasts 40 mins...  Terrible.  If you
> > can get 2 years out of a batt ur lucky.  I read some tech docs on li-on
> > cells; if you can store at 50% charge in the fridge and when in use don't
> > let it run down 100%.
> in my opinion, there's just one rule: Don't trust anybody.
> There are so many people who claim do be professionals, who say totally
> contrary things.
> On the one hand, there are many 'facts' which are falsely applied to
> LiIon-batteries which don't apply. On the other hand, there are many
> stories
> people remember from years long ago or from cheap notebooks without an
> 'intelligent' battery.
>
> Just to add another story from me: I have two batteries in my notebook, the
> one is always drowned to zero before the other one is being used (no, there
> are no possibilities to control that in my case). The one being drowned
> first, though not that often used that hard (appr once a week) was nearly
> dead after 1 1/2 years (6/23Wh), while the other one still has 23/27Wh.
>

> Regards, Julian

Li-Ion batteries tend to loose there imprint (the ability to hold a charge)
over time, the more the battery is discharged to 0%, the faster it will
loose that imprint. There really isn't squat you can do about it except buy
a new battery (and yes, make sure it is new, I bought a refurbed HP and the
*full* charge for it when I got it was 20% of it's original capacity (maybe
15-20 minutes), good enough in a pinch but that 20% lasted maybe a month)

As Julian stated ... there are too many people who claim to be professionals
(I'm not one of them), this are just what I have experienced and based on
what I have read. One resource I did find was
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries...
they seemed to at least present all the information available in a
logical order and it all made sense to me.

hth, C-