More On Samba And Softupdates

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 20:16:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com>wrote:

> This drive is being used as a backup drive for all the workstations on
> this particular network, and "reliable" is much more important than "
> slightly faster".

As someone already said, SU is probably not the culprit here.  I've used
Samba + SU for a long time with no such problems although I have no current
setups to verify.

SU substantially increases disk IO, it's not 'slightly faster' it's much
faster.  The error you see is probably the result of flaky drive or
controller as the additional IO provided by SU allows the flakiness to show
through.  Although from what you describe my choice for the drive would be
gjournal + UFS.  If you've got a lot of asynchronous IO that's a better
solution.

--
Adam Vande More