Hardware support for Shuttle SX38P2 Pro

Ben Quick ben at benquick.net
Sun Nov 21 16:38:39 UTC 2010

  Hi all,
  This is the first question I've asked on here, hopefully I've got all
the required detail in.

I'm thinking of buying a Shuttle SX38P2 Pro
(http://www.shuttle.eu/products/mini-pc/sx38p2-pro/specification/) to
run FreeBSD 8.1 onwards. I'll be using the machine as a desktop and home
server. A bit of coding, nothing special, and running a few jails. But,
before making the purchase I want to make sure the hardware is supported.

 From the Shuttle spec sheet above, the sound card mentions ALC888DD and
the FreeBSD supported hardware list states that ALC888 is supported
under snd_hda. Is the 'DD' important? Would sound still work? My
assumption is that sound would work, but I'd possibly lose the surround
sound or something?

The NIC appears to be Marvell 88E8056, which seems to have full support
using the msk driver. I've never heard of this manufacturer before,
there aren't any gotchas I need to be aware of are there?

There are two things on the Shuttle spec sheet that I'm unsure of. They are:

* Intel X38 Express (MCH) + ICH9R (I/O Conroller Hub)
* Intel Matrix Storage Technology

I don't really know what either of them are. I'm assuming the Matrix
Storage is the RAID controller. Is this supported? If not, I'll just use
gmirror, but will obviously have to be able to access the disks in the
first instance.

 From the Shuttle spec sheet, I can't tell what video card is installed.
Does anybody know? Is it supported? Initially, I'll be using only one
monitor, but would intend to have both outputs in use in the longer term.

Sorry, I know there's a lot of questions in there, but I've been unable
to find the answered for myself so far.

If anyone could shed any light on this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Ben