'Broadcom Wireless b/g (BCM4315/BCM22062000)'

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 16 04:58:46 UTC 2010

On 11/16/10, Chris Brennan <xaero at xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:17 PM, b. f. <bf1783 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris Brennan wrote:
>> >My Hiccup as the subject suggests is about my Wireless Card.
>> >I have been following the handbook (
>> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/config-network-setup.html) on how to
>> use
>> >64-bit Windows drivers coupled w/ ndisgen to get my wireless card
>> > working.
>> >got ndisgen to generate a kernel module but it immediately caused my
>> laptop
>> >to reboot when the kernel was loaded. This left me scratching my head. I
>> >think I might need firmware (I remember having to extract firmware from
>> the
>> >driver for linux).
>> >
>> >pciconf shows the following:
>> >
>> >[root at BlackDragon [~]# pciconf -lv | grep -A3 0x4315
>> >none8 at pci0:8:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x137c103c chip=0x431514e4
>> >rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>> >    vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
>> >    device     = 'Broadcom Wireless b/g (BCM4315/BCM22062000)'
>> >    class      = network
>> >[root at BlackDragon [~]#
>> >
>> >The laptop is an HP dv2845SE and it's running FreebSD64-8.1. Let me know
>> if
>> >I missed anything.
>>
>> I'm assuming that by "FreebSD64", you mean the amd64 version of
>> FreeBSD.  Have you tried using a recent version of the native bwn(4)
>> driver, together with the net/bwn-firmware-kmod port, rather than
>> ndis(4)?
>>

>> b.
>>

> Yes, by FreeBSD64 I am implying amd64, an oversight on my part. I was told
> the native bwn/bwn-firmware-kmod non-functional currently. Was I misinformed
> about this?

I don't use it myself, but I have seen exchanges on the mailing lists
from time to time that would suggest that it is working, at least for
some hardware.  The only PR that I can see in the database from
someone using a card similar to yours was a report of a problem that
only arose in a specific configuration, and that problem seems to have
been solved:

ttp://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/144724

However, you could ask weongyo@ (the developer who has done most of
the work on it) directly.  If you are feeling bold, you could try
9-CURRENT, where you will be able to use the latest versions of the
driver and associated wireless infrastructure.

b.