Is ZFS ready for prime time?

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:16:22 UTC 2010

On 15 November 2010 19:59, Peter Boosten <peter at boosten.org> wrote:

> On 15 nov 2010, at 20:37, Chris Rees wrote:
>
> On 15 November 2010 19:33, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.gdynia.pl>
> wrote:

> please elaborate
>

> look at archives. i really don't want to repeat the same many times.
>
> And anyone that actually have clue about what is computer, disk drive,
>
> reliability and algorithms and can think - after reading how ZFS is
> designed
>
> will understand that.
>

> When did you ever 'repeat' that in the first place? Can you provide a
> link, I don't recall seeing anyone say that ZFS is a toy.
>

> He's consistent in any case (a quick google search reveals this 2008
> message):
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg192926.html
>
> --
> Peter Boosten
> http://www.boosten.org

there may be some technical merits in his analysis. however  I have been
using zfs in production environments for a few years and know it scales very
well. Admittedly its in a solaris environment not BSD, but then he is on
about the  algorithms not the CPU architecture etc. In my experience the
performance is good on both intel and sparc enviroments. The more memory and
CPU the better as it is resource hungry. But then again it is doing a lot
more sophisticated stuff than plain old UFS. From an administration point of
view its very easy to use (especially compared to solstice and vinum) and
has a lot of cool features, that after a while you find yourself wondering
how you managed without them.

Having said all that, it remains on whether it will stay the course. I doubt
it will be around as long as ufs, as something better will come along in the
future I suspect (not convinced on btrfs yet), but one thing is for sure,
its set a new benchmark for filesystems