History of C (Re: Why do you use a devil as a mascot?)

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Nov 15 00:35:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 02:39:32PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	About 2000, 2001 was when I shucked my "muuz" game/mind-machine
> 	effort.  It was over 10K line of C-ish code that I rehacked into
> 	C++.  Figured since C++ was "_the_ new language" that it was a
> 	good move.  Then I realized how you could spend a lifetime
> 	learning C++ I backed off and kept it simple.

Hardly new.  It hasn't been the Next Big Thing since the '80s.  Java was
the Next Big Thing in the '90s.  We don't exactly have a new Next Big
Thing for the '00s, from what I can see -- and maybe that's a good thing.

Agile development is the Next Big Thing for development methodologies,
but that's a somewhat separate issue.

> 	Yeah, it's on amazon.com, but "my bible" {seriously!} is good
> 	enough.  Dog-earned and coffee-stained; but it's the same as the
> 	2nd Ed.  The 2nd is ANSI-ified, IIRC.

That's correct -- 2nd Ed is the ANSI C version of basically the same
text.