History of C (Re: Why do you use a devil as a mascot?)

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Nov 14 23:17:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 03:37:15PM -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 02:02:49PM -0800, Chip Camden wrote:
> > Quoth Gary Kline on Sunday, 14 November 2010:
> > >

> > > 	Just about the whole Murray Hill gang stopped by Cray
> > > 	(in Chippewa Falls), late 80's, and I remember asking Dennis
> > > 	what the deal was with "C++"; I remember him dodging the
> > > 	thing.  Whoever-invented-C++ did a convoluted job, i s my
> > > 	opinion.  It might be nice to add classes to C, but that's
> > > 	about it.
> > >
> > The inventor of C++ is Bjarne Stroustrop.  I had the chance opportunity
> > to sit down at a table with him and have a conversation prior to an SD
> > West conference several years ago.  He's a nice guy, with a great sense
> > of humor -- but even he admits "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the
> > foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off."
> > http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bjarne_Stroustrup
>
> There's always the theory that Bjarne Stroustrup actually meant C++ as a
> joke:
>
>     http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/c++/I_did_it_for_you_all
>
> It's generally regarded as a hoax, and there is an actually published
> interview that corresponds with this time period in IEEE's Computer
> Magazine that reads quite differently from this.  Still . . . if this is
> real, it would certainly explain a lot.

	Hmmm.  I'll ck out the quote when I'm using evo.  I honestly
	doesn't see C++ as any joke--or attempt to be.  What I can't
	grok is the supposed "re-useability."  Was/Isn't a big part of
	C++ supposed to be that you could easily reuse part of proven,
	flawless code?  I probably never got that far into learning the
	language.  I have and still do edit, cut/paste, hammer and saw
	away at my C examples to get at functions that are reusable.

> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]

                           http://journey.thought.org
                               For non-text MUA's