Tips for installing windows and freeBSD both.. anyone??

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Nov 14 06:42:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 06:12:52PM -0800, Rob Farmer wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 13:53, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> >> Right, and this isn't a GUI problem - its a problem with combining the
> >> documents. What software allows multiple people to open and write to
> >> the same file simultaneously without trashing the file or losing data?
> >
> > Git and Mercurial come to mind.
>
> I'm not familiar with DVCSes, but I assume they work much the same as
> a centralized one - that is they don't open a file and leave it open -
> you work on something, then use locking for the actual commit part.
> Two people can't edit the same working copy at once, nor can they
> commit at exactly the same time. The difference is that locking is
> done at the application layer, rather than by the OS itself.

Actually, they *don't* work exactly like centralized version control.
That's kinda the point; they offer excellent facilities for edit conflict
resolution that makes the facilities provided by CVCSes look positively
primitive by comparison.  DVCSes are specifically designed to facilitate
a certain amount of simultaneous development of the same files with
generally error-free merging when the second of the two changesets gets
added to a given repository.

The idea that multiple people can work on the same stuff at the same time
is kind of central to the necessary capabilities of a DVCS.