Tips for installing windows and freeBSD both.. anyone??

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Sat Nov 13 20:12:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:02:31 +0000
Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> articulated:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:48:40 -0600 (CST)
> Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
>
> > Au Contraire,  WINDOWS *itself* forbids more than one application
> > from having the same file open forworking on.
>
> Wrong. Windows *itself* doesn't care - lots of applications just don't
> specify FILE_SHARE_WRITE:
>
> "An application also uses CreateFile to specify whether it wants to
> share the file for reading, writing, both, or neither. This is known
> as the sharing mode. An open file that is not shared (dwShareMode set
> to zero) cannot be opened again, either by the application that
> opened it or by another application, until its handle has been
> closed. This is also referred to as exclusive access." from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363874%28VS.85%29.aspx

FUD certainly comes into play here. Microsoft haters will utter any
excuse to downplay its GUI. Those naysayers are just as pathetic as
those who claim that a CLI is obsolete or overly burdensome.

If you want to use a GUI, then use it. If not, then use a CLI or
whatever suits your fancy.

Honestly, this whole thread has deteriorated to a group of old wash
women debating molecular science. The fact that they have not got all
their facts correct never caused them to miss a beat.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net