Fwd: Why do you use a devil as a mascot?

Neal Hogan nealhogan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 23:03:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Alejandro Imass <ait at p2ee.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Tom Worster <fsb at thefsb.org> wrote:
>> On 11/12/10 2:29 PM, "Jerry McAllister" <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>Lots of people see FreeBSD and the web site and the mascott, etc for
>>>the first time probably each day.    Some of them will have the same
>>>mistaken idea since the misunderstanding of it is implanted in people's
>>>heads from an early age.    Although you may get tired of hearing that
>>>same old argument again and again, I do, it does not automatically make a
>>>person a troll if they ask the question.
>>
>> Hmm.
>>
>> It is inconsiderate and lazy to ask someone else to answer a question
>> without making any effort to answer it yourself first. The misdeed is
>> multiplied when the culprit asks hundreds of people in a discussion group
>> such as this. That's why it is often considered a violation of etiquette.
>> The fact that lmgtfy.com and 'RTFM' are both well know suggests that this
>> is not a fringe opinion.
>>

>>>The intelligent thing is to give a reasonable answer and point the person
>>>to some web pages where they can become informed and then ignore it.
>>
>> I would describe that as the indulgent thing, not the intelligent thing.
>>

> Thanks Tom, I was beginning to think no one else cared about such
> netiquette, and I just opted to let it go. Nevertheless, now that you
> brought this up, I would like to point a couple of more things out to
> Jerry:
>
> The _intelligent_ thing to do is to actually read before blabbering
> here about some religious crap.
>
> When the OP signed up to this list he must have read this:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL
>
> Where things like the following are very clearly stated:
>
> When in doubt about what list to post a question to, see How to get
> best results from the FreeBSD-questions mailing list.
> Which points to this:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/
>
> Before posting to any list, please learn about how to best use the
> mailing lists, such as how to help avoid frequently-repeated
> discussions, by reading the Mailing List Frequently Asked Questions
> (FAQ) document.
> Which points to this:
>
> And in almost all these places there are links to the netiquette,
> recommendations on how to search before you post and tons of
> information on how to correctly interact with these mailing lists.
>
> Ignorantia legis neminem excusat

Yes, yes, yes . . . but back to the issue at hand; cartoons with red
faces and two horns, carrying sharp, pointy things indicate the evil
that must be . . . . ummm . . . I don't know. I'm probably going to
hell just for having thoughts about Satan (or whatever). Like I said,
I don't know ;-)

Ok . . . "now" I'm done.