Tips for installing windows and freeBSD both.. anyone??

Peter A. Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 20:24:10 UTC 2010

On 2010/11/12 at 10:33, rfarmer at predatorlabs.net (Rob Farmer) wrote:

>Scientists and other technical people use it almost universally
>without issue (except for some oddities, PSI is somewhat popular)

Would you consider engineers "technical people"?

One example would be the American Association of State Highway
Transportation Officials (AASHTO) LRFD Bridge Design Specification.
They have discontinued the SI Units version as nobody was using
it or
buying it.  I would disagree with you assessment that "technical people"
"almost universally" use SI.

>it is better for real/serious work, but the general public doesn't see
>it as new or valuable - its just a stupid change in the way everything
>has always been done.

It depends on what you mean by "real serious work".  Try
ordering a
cubic meter of concrete or a #25 rebar in the U.S. and see how
far you
get.

There is no universal solution to any technical problem.  Each solution
will suit some people's needs and aggravate other people.  That
is the
beauty of something like FreeBSD, you can customize it to your needs.
If you aren't willing to do that, there are several other OSs out
there that do not offer the same level of customization that may be
better suited for a particular purpose/user.