Tips for installing windows and freeBSD both.. anyone??

Rob Farmer rfarmer at predatorlabs.net
Fri Nov 12 19:33:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:06, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:21:51 -0800, Rob Farmer <rfarmer at predatorlabs.net> wrote:
>> I'm not saying the CLI is universally bad - if you gain competence
>> with a set of programs that you use frequently, it can be very
>> efficient. It does make it hard to enter a new area, though - you've
>> got to learn some before you can do anything.
>
> When entering WHICH field new to you this is different?
>
> Repeat after me: Computers. Are. Not. Easy. :-)

None - but people don't feel like they are entering a new field.
Everyone uses computers - public schools have spent massive amounts of
money to start kids using computers at 5 or 6 years old, if they
haven't already at home.

So the discussion isn't framed as learning something new - its "why
should we change the way everyone has been working for years?"

To use a US example, you see the same thing with the SI/metric system.
Scientists and other technical people use it almost universally
without issue (except for some oddities, PSI is somewhat popular) - it
is better for real/serious work, but the general public doesn't see it
as new or valuable - its just a stupid change in the way everything
has always been done.

--
Rob Farmer