Can't Detect REALTEK ethernet card

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Nov 12 19:26:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, Luki Bangun Subekti wrote:

> Hi.. I'm just study about networking using freeBSD..
> I installed freeBSD in virtual machine, VMware Workstation. When I set
> network configuration, in interfaces option, I can't see Realtek PCI
> ethernet card. I just see Intel ethernet card and PPP. I'm using internet by
> LAN in my home. DHCP also can't be used. Is there someone know about this
> problem?

The virtual environment provides a virtual network card.  That's likely
the Intel card you see.  There may be settings you need to make in the
VM software to provide NAT or bridged networking to the virtual card.
Once that's set, your FreeBSD VM can use that virtual card as if it were
real.

See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-guest.html