FreeBSD-similar build-from-source Linux?

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Nov 10 23:21:37 UTC 2010

On 11/10/10 20:15, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> O. Hartmann wrote:
>>
>>> The NVIDIA FreeBSD driver provides the cuda libraries for linux
>>> compatibilty.
>>>
>>> So 32-bit Linux Cuda applications should work on FreeBSD.
>>
>> There are some other, very serious questions. AMD calims that they
>> made the specs of their 3D chipset internals public.
> The docs had big missing chunks which I tried to get clarification on
> and got some help and then it just one day stopped
>> There is OpenCL as an open standard
> Try to find the validation test suite.. ($$$)
>> , there is the CLANG/LLVM project even for FreeBSD
> Apple licenses it and doesn't publish all opencl work. (or I think may
> not even contribute to the opencl side at all anymore.. someone correct me)
>> to become the new standard compiler and, not at last, there is work
>> done on drivers for AMD graphics boards but there is no, not even
>> rudimentary, support for GPGPU. I preferr a clean open source
>> solution, but at the moment, it seems to be the best and easiest path
>> to switch to an operating system that is fully supported, even 64 bit.
> Side question - Why care in the least bit about AMD? Their hw sucks and
> their software is a joke.. (if you bought Evergreen I'm sorry..)

By the way - way is the hardware crap? Can you please be more specific?
AMD claims to have a higher effective double precision throughput than
nVidia, they also claim not having cut off most of their double
precision capable facilities like nVidia even on their mass market
products (but I'm not sure about that since this fact is very often
hidden by intention). Their software doesn't really matter since I most
FreeBSD users use the open source driver. Well, I never saw a working 64
bit capable driver on FreeBSD, that's right.

Please do not understand this as a tricky question, I'm serious, since I
plan to purchase new hardware for my computer at home (FreeBSD) and even
for my lab's computer(s).

And by the way, no, I havn't bought 'Evergreen', I have much more
disappointing HD4830 and not properly working HD4770 and HD4670 ... (not
GPGPU capable by design).