FreeBSD-similar build-from-source Linux?

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Wed Nov 10 19:12:39 UTC 2010

O. Hartmann wrote:

>> The NVIDIA FreeBSD driver provides the cuda libraries for linux
>> compatibilty.
>>
>> So 32-bit Linux Cuda applications should work on FreeBSD.
>
> There are some other, very serious questions. AMD calims that they
> made the specs of their 3D chipset internals public.
The docs had big missing chunks which I tried to get clarification on
and got some help and then it just one day stopped
> There is OpenCL as an open standard
Try to find the validation test suite.. ($$$)
> , there is the CLANG/LLVM project even for FreeBSD
Apple licenses it and doesn't publish all opencl work. (or I think may
not even contribute to the opencl side at all anymore.. someone correct me)
> to become the new standard compiler and, not at last, there is work
> done on drivers for AMD graphics boards but there is no, not even
> rudimentary, support for GPGPU. I preferr a clean open source
> solution, but at the moment, it seems to be the best and easiest path
> to switch to an operating system that is fully supported, even 64 bit.
Side question - Why care in the least bit about AMD?  Their hw sucks and
their software is a joke..  (if you bought Evergreen I'm sorry..)

There's no such thing as a complete open source GPGPU solution as of
today (to the best of my knowledge)

./C