Glue records

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue Nov 9 22:45:36 UTC 2010

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Mon Nov  8 02:16:44 2010
> From: Jonathan McKeown <j.mckeown at ru.ac.za>
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:18:09 +0200
> Subject: Re: Glue records (was Re: ATTN GARY KLINE)
>
> On Friday 05 November 2010 22:51:01 Robert Bonomi wrote:
> > > From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Fri Nov  5 02:26:31 2010
> > > From: Jonathan McKeown <j.mckeown at ru.ac.za>
> > > To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> > > Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:27:38 +0200
> > > Subject: Glue records (was Re: ATTN GARY KLINE)
> > >
> > > When a nameserver delegates a zone, it's not responsible for any of that
> > > zone's records any more, with two exceptions. It provides NS records to
> > > indicate which nameservers /are/ responsible, and it retains
> > > responsibility for the A records of nameservers inside the zone - and
> > > only those nameservers. (That's glue.)
> > >
> > > There's no way a .com nameserver should be providing A records for hosts
> > > in the .au zone.
> >
> > sure there is.
> >
> >    Domain:  foo.com  (an aussie company)
> >       nameservers   ns1.alicesprings.au, ns2.umelbourneatperth.au
>
> I think we're agreeing violently ;) The nameservers for the .com zone, when
> asked about foo.com, should reply with the hostnames of the two nameservers.
> It shouldn't reply with their IP addresses; the only nameservers that can do
> that are the ones serving the .au zone or the alicesprings.au and
> umelbourneatperth.au zones.

Ah.  you said "a .com nameserver'.  Thought you meant 'any nameserver in the .com
hirerarchy', as disinct from 'one of the servers for the .com TLD/zone'

Yup, an agreement it is.  the  A records only for hosts within a zone you are
authoritative for, _or_ glure records for a nameservr that is in a zone sub-
delegated from something you are authoritative for.