USGS ISIS 3.2.1: build failure on FBSD 8.1/9.0 due to oudated xerxec-c2 ?

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 9 21:06:32 UTC 2010

On 11/09/10 21:52, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:34:48 +0100
> "O. Hartmann"<ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> Tried to build the newest ISIS 3.2.1 software package for planetary
>> survey science, but fail. I always get the following error which seems
>> to be triggered due to an ambiguous overload of a function, but I do not
>> know how to fix the problem since everything seems clen to me. The USGS
>> ISIS package uses prebuild libraries, but only for two Linux
>> distributions and OSX, libxerces is version 3.1 as far as I can see, but
>> FreeBSD port textproc/xerces-c2 is stuck with 2.7. So far, ISIS 3.2.0
>> could be build on FreeBSD 8 and 9 with minor problems but working. Is
>> anybody out here also utilising FreeBSD for scientific purposes and alsi
>> using ISIS3 3.2.1? Can anybody help or give a hint?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>

> Are you using the standard gcc?  You could try installing one of the
> gcc versions from ports and see whether that helps.  The standard gcc
> is a few generations old.
>
> [snip error output]

Hello,

I'm using clang ;-) But I also tried gcc45. After I installed xerces-c
version 3.1.1 from the Apache project in referred ISIS to take libs iand
includes from the new installation path, I had success, but only a
partial one. Xalan-c relies on the older version xerces-c2 2.7..

I also tried with xerces-c2-devel (2.8.0), but it also produces the
error shown prior to this message.

Regards,
Oliver