apache13 to apache22

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Tue Nov 9 20:58:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 03:07:55PM -0500, Fbsd8 wrote:

> Frank Shute wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 02:18:19PM -0500, Fbsd8 wrote:
> >>As I do a complete fresh install of 8.1 I saw that apache13 is no longer
> >>being supported, so thought this is the time I will move to apache22.
> >>
> >>Now everything went real easy until testing my websites. In apache13 the
> >>.css (style sheet) calls for a blue background. The .css file is in the
> >>same directory as the html files making up the website. In apache13 I
> >>got the blue background but in apache22 I get a white background. I
> >>checked the apache22 htppd.config file for any info on css but found none.
> >>
> >>Are .css (style sheet) handled differently in apache22?
> >
> >AFAIK they're not.
> >
> >It sounds like the stylesheet isn't being served up (white background
> >is default).
> >
> >Examine the apache error log. By default it's in /var/log. Also look
> >in the regular apache log and it could be the stylesheet is getting a
> >404.
> >
> >Is server root the same in httpd.conf for 2.2 as it is for 1.3? Could
> >be the cause of the problem. 2.2 uses a different root by default
> >IIRC.
> >

> >Regards,
> >

> This is part of my config file.
>

> ServerRoot "/usr/local"
> Listen 6680
> DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/apache22/data"
> <Directory />
>     AllowOverride None
>     Order deny,allow
>     Deny from all
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory "/usr/local/www/apache22/data">
> Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> AllowOverride None
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> <IfModule alias_module>
>     Alias /FBSD_manuals/ "/usr/local/share/doc/"
>
>     <Directory "/usr/local/share/doc">
>         Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
>         AllowOverride None
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
>     </Directory>
> </IfModule>
>
> Here are messages from the access-log.
> "GET /index.php/00.00-web_style_sheet.css HTTP/1.1" 200 6839
> "GET /index.php/powered_by_apache_bsd.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 6839
> "GET /index.php/powered_by_FreeBSD.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 6839

This looks like a problem. It's saying that you have a *directory*
called index.php in your document root which has a stylesheet and 2
gifs contained within it which are all the same byte size.

Is your server correctly dealing with php?

> You can see that apache22 is saying the .css and the 2 .gif have been
> served up, but the browser has white background instead of blue and the
> 2 gif images are missing from the displayed web page. Now this is a
> working website that displays correctly on apache13 so i know there is
> nothing wrong with the directory content.

I suspect you'll find that even though it's saying it has served up
the .css and gifs, it's just serving up index.php which is 6839 bytes
long.

Anything in your error log?

> The alias website has the .css file in the same directory and it
> displays correctly.
>

> What am I overlooking here?

Regards,

--