portmaster question

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Nov 8 19:50:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, RW wrote:

> -aRr isn't implied by -a, the rR options are ignored in the former.
>
> I think it's fairly clear that recursing through installed
> packages with consistent dependecies isn't going to find a package
> that isn't in the set of all installed packages.

That sentence makes me a little dizzy.  I think you mean that since -a
is equivalent to listing all packages on the command line, -r or -R are
redundant.

So portupgrade \* (i.e., -a) is a superset of

portupgrade -r libexample

because all the dependencies of libexample are included in the \* and so
portupgrade will see they need to be updated because a port they depend
on has been updated...  Right?