No GPT on an usb key

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Mon Nov 8 07:20:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:52:55 +0200 David DEMELIER wrote:

> I'm trying to put on my USB mass storage device a GPT scheme
> partitions. But gpart still add them as slices :

> To be sure to remove the MBR before I dd'ed it

> $ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=512 count=1
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> 512 bytes transferred in 0.003369 secs (151970 bytes/sec)
> $ sudo gpart create -s GPT da0
> da0 created
> $ gpart show da0
> =>      34  15771653  da0  GPT  (7.5G)
>         34  15771653       - free -  (7.5G)

> $ sudo gpart add -b 34 -t freebsd da0
> da0s1 added

> Why it is still s1? In my kernel config I have this :

GPART(8) may be a good start here. Ex.:
-----
PARTITION TYPES
     The gpart utility uses symbolic names for common partition types to avoid
     that the user needs to know what the partitioning scheme in question is
     and what the actual number or identification needs to be used for a par-
     ticular type.  The gpart utility also allows the user to specify scheme-
     specific partition types for partition types that do not have symbol
     names.  The symbolic names currently understood are:
     freebsd        A FreeBSD partition that uses the BSD disklabel to sub-
                    divide the partition into file systems.  This is a legacy
                    partition type and should not be used for the APM or GPT
                    schemes.  The scheme-specific types are "!165" for MBR,
                    "!FreeBSD" for APM, and
                    "!516e7cb4-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b" for GPT.
-----

> device          crypto
> options         GEOM_ELI
> options         GEOM_PART_GPT
> options         GEOM_LABEL
> options         GEOM_VOL

> Do I need something that I forgot?

Seems you forgot to read the manual page carefully. ;-)

--
HTH & WBR, bsam