portupgrade fails to run or do anything

Rob Farmer rfarmer at predatorlabs.net
Sun Nov 7 20:30:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:12, Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
> Really! When did "ruby at FreeBSD.org" drop the port? If he is not
> actively maintaining the port then perhaps he should inform the proper
> authority.

"He" is a mailing list.

ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade/Makefile
Revision 1.256
Tue Jul 21 13:12:15 2009 PDT (15 months, 2 weeks ago) by sem
Log:
- Drop maintainership to ruby@

Beyond this point virtually no development has happened. The
sourceforge project hasn't been updated since around that time and
there are open PRs over two years old. Unfortuantely, FreeBSD has a
lot of these niche mailing lists that virtually nobody reads but have
PRs auto-assigned to them, effectively acting as a black hole.
freebsd-rc is one of the worst offenders - other than Doug Barton,
there don't seem to be any developers involved there and it has a
massive buildup of unreviewed patches.

So I would say portupgrade is unmaintained and thus encourage people
to move to portmaster.

--
Rob Farmer