portupgrade fails to run or do anything

Ron (Lists) rg.lists at rzweb.com
Sun Nov 7 18:15:22 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 19:08:23 +0100, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 09:21:22 -0800, "Ron (Lists)" <rg.lists at rzweb.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to upgrade my ports and I can't get portupgrade to do
>> anything.  I type 'sudo portupgrade apache' (or any package) and all I
>> get back is a command prompt.  No error or any other message.
>> portversion seems to work correctly, showing my out of date ports, etc.
>
> You need to be in /usr/ports and then issue the port name together
> with the category; in your case:
>
> 	% cd /usr/ports
> 	% sudo portupgrade www/apache
>

>> Running portupgrade with -F doesn't help at all.  I've also noticed
>> that tab-expansion isn't working like it used to on the port names, so
>> that makes me wonder if the database is screwed up.
>
> The expansion is handled by the shell, and based on the content of
> directories accessed. If you follow the example above, autocomplete
> should work fine.
>

>> I've tried running
>> pkgdb and it just returns like portupgrade.
>
> That should not be; did you run this?
>
> 	# pkgdb -aF
>
> This is the most common call for that program, issued as root (or via
> su or sudo or super).
>

>> Running portsdb to try and
>> rebuild the index doesn't help.
>
> See from the manpage:
>
> 	Note that INDEX file is updated every few hours on official
> 	site, it is recommended that you run ``portsdb -Fu'' after
> 	every CVSup of the ports tree in order to keep them always
> 	up-to-date and in sync with the ports tree.
>

>> Any ideas?  I'm perplexed and Google is no help.
>
> I can suggest reading the manpages of the programs in question
> before consulting google. One of FreeBSD's strengths is its
> EXCELLENT documentation. Know about that fact, and it will
> help you in many situations. :-)

None of these suggestions help.  I have never had to put www/ in front
of the port name before.  The tab expansion is handled by
bash-completion as used to be smart enough to know the command I was
typing and could auto-complete port names, but no longer, which is why I
suspect that I have a screwed up database.

Ron