Tips for installing windows and freeBSD both.. anyone??

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Sun Nov 7 17:41:13 UTC 2010

Quoth Bruce Cran on Sunday, 07 November 2010:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 15:54:46 -0700
> Chip Camden <sterling at camdensoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > What does KDE or GNOME buy you anyway?  Besides overhead.
>
> I don't expect to be able to convince you, but a lot of people find
> desktop environments easier to use than a whole load of terminals. For
> example I sometimes prefer to use kdiff3 instead of plain "svn diff"
> and KDE makes that simple.
>
> --
> Bruce Cran

I'm not here to bash desktop environments, I seriously want to know you use them to
improve productivity.

I used to be a big believer in GUIs.  Back in the early 90s, I
experimented with creating my own completely visual development
environment, with a high percentage of drag 'n' drop and doubleclick
in place of command lines.

Now I find that any time I reach for the mouse, I'm slowing myself down.
It's more efficient to use the keyboard even to switch focused windows
or to follow links in a browser (provided that the window manager and
browser are equipped with usable shortcuts).

I use a tiling wm (xmonad) to maximize visibility, real estate usage, and
navigability.  No overlapping windows unless I say so.

That's my experience.  How does yours differ, and how does KDE/GNOME
help?

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com