ZFS License and Future

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Nov 7 03:14:07 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Chad" == Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> writes:

Chad> I have not really spent any quality time with ZFS, so I'm a little
Chad> sketchy on the details.  Is there anything the checksumming capabilities
Chad> of ZFS do that cannot be duplicated with an external tool -- perhaps
Chad> something like a filesystem integrity auditing system?

How would that external tool work to (a) detect the bad block during its
access to prevent bad data from being returned to the user and (b)
enable the swapping of bad data with a good spare copy if available?

Nope... it's got to be in the kernel.