Is Intel Core I7 930 2.80 Ghz as good or better option than AMD

Edwin L. Culp W. edwinlculp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 02:36:53 UTC 2010

2010/11/6 "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>:
> eculp wrote:
>>
>> I've always been an AMD fan but am getting the idea that they are loosing
>> their edge.  So my question if the Intel Core I7 930 2.80 Ghz is as good and
>> option or is their a better AMD at a similar o cheaper price?
>>
>> I plan to install this in a GigaByte GA-X58A/UD7 motherboard with 6 Gb in
>> a Cosmos-S Cooler Master cabinet with extra fans and Cooler Master 600w
>> power supply.
>>
>> Any comments appreciated.
>>
>> Please copy me on your answers.
>
> What will you be doing with it?  Will you actually be running FBSD on it and
> what sort of applications? You're talking about value here, but who is going
> to do the research for you.. So please don't be lazy and pick an exact AMD
> processor you're looking at.. (most likely Istanbul/Magny-cours)

I'm doing my own research and trying to find a machine that is
available here at a "reasonable" price.  For the last few years all my
machines have been AMD but I found the above using Intel Core I7 930
at a tolerable price.   I haven't found an AMD that meets my
requirements, YET and if this is a good procesor I will probably not
look any more.

Yes, I will be running FreeBSD on it (8.0 or 9.0).  Is there another
option;)  I've been using it for almost 15 years if I remember right.

Principal Apps:
  Apache
  Mysql
  ldap
  PHP
  Courier
  bind

I've not noticed any comments on the 4 core  Intel I7.

Thanks for asking,

ed

P.S. I am registered on questions with both email addresses but the
one that is activated in gmail and I didn't remember until I got this.
 Sorry for any confusion.