ZFS License and Future

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 18:52:23 UTC 2010

On 5 November 2010 19:11, Alejandro Imass <aimass at yabarana.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> A while back I started the thread "Troubles on SATA drives ZFS". I
> decided to bring the zpool down check each disk and re-construct the
> pool. Nevertheless, I was revising one of the ZFS error message links
> and Oracle made me create a developer id to access the info. This
> really pissed me off even more than teh Android suit, so it got me
> thinking...
>
> Maybe I should go back to UFS, CCD, GEOM, etc. instead of continuing
> to support f***ing Oracle. ZFS was honestly very easy and seemed very
> reliable and fast, but I would like the opinion and position of people
> here on ZFS before I continue using it.
>
> Many thanks,
> Alejandro Imass

the main problem is geom and ufs isnt a like for like replacement yet. Good
as though geom is it just not as easy as zfs from an adminsistration point
of view in my opinion. It may potentinally get a block checksum class but it
will be a long time before its like for like.

I've had a play around with btrfs, which is supposed to be an opensource
equivelent to zfs. It is far from ready yet though. It may mature into a
good product in the future, but its a long way off and far from polished
(dam horrible from what ive seen so far). Most of its development was backed
by oracle though from what i have read, so who knows where that will go now.
If oracle want to continue to push linux and it to have a decent fs, it may
well just be easier for them to drop the licensing issues with cddl which
was preventing zfs from making it into linux. Who knows but for anything in
the near to medium future there is nothing to rival zfs on the opensource
market.

Having said all that it really depends on whether you need the extra
features of zfs. Personally I cant see how anyone with any important data
can do without checksuming.