ssmtp - possible anomaly with SSL

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Sat Nov 6 13:37:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at insightbb.com>wrote:

> I recently figured out how to send mail thru my ISP ID using ssmtp.  I had
> previously only been using KMail, and I had it configured to use port 465
>  SSL
> LOGIN.
>
> I can send mail when I don't use port 465:
> mailhub=mail.InsightBB.com
>
> but if I add the port 465 a,d enable SSL with:
> UseTLS=YES
>
> then I use the -v switch and also -auFreeBSD -apPassword
> as in smtp -v -auFreeBSD -apPassword freebsd at insightbb.com
>
> and the messages all indicate success, but the mail never arrives. It does
> when I don't use SSL on port 465.
>
> KMail does work with SSL on port 465.

What does /var/log/maillog say? Can you post /usr/local/etc/ssmtp.conf?
(without password of course)

Here is mine and it works fine.

MailHub=smtp.gmail.com:587
UseTLS=YES
AuthUser=r********@xaerolimit.net
AuthPass=********
FromLineOverride=YES
Hostname=mail.xaerolimit.net
root=********@xaerolimit.net
UseSTARTTLS=YES

Did you know...

If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
but what's worse is when you play it forward....
                                      ...it installs Windows 2000

   -- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org