ZFS License and Future

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Nov 5 21:40:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 08:25:05PM +0100, Svein Skogen (Listmail account) wrote:

> Well ... CDDL was (iirc) based on the Mozilla Public License. Are you
> similarly worried about Thunderbird or Firefox?

I think Alejandro's more worried about what will happen with future
versions of ZFS based on the company that now owns the copyrights, which
is not (in any meaningful way I've been able to determine) at all similar
to the Mozilla Foundation.  Yes, the current stable version is CDDL.
Will the next be purely proprietary, or some new license, or simply
discontinued?  Will Oracle start using patent suits to try to stop people
who aren't paying for ZFS or who are using it on platforms other than
Solaris from using it?

Whether you think concerns like these will prove reasonable in the long
run, they make a lot more sense than assuming that Alejandro just wonders
if the CDDL is "dangerous" somehow.