Android usb tethering

four.harrisons at googlemail.com four.harrisons at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 5 08:23:20 UTC 2010

On Tue  2/11/10 11:37 AM , freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
wrote:
 On Tue  2/11/10 10:11 AM , Alejandro Imass  wrote:On Mon, Nov 1, 2010
 at 6:25 PM, Ivan Voras  wrote:
  > On 11/01/10 15:42, Mark Atkinson wrote:

  [...]
  > In the above messages, the kernel detaches the storage device
 (umass) and
  > tries to attach the new device, which doesn't have a driver so
it's
 attached
  > as "ugen" - generic USB.

  Yes. One has to remember that USB is just the bus just like pci,
  microchannel, etc. Even though you have access to the device on the
  bus you still need a driver for that specific ethernet chip your
  kernel. This is analogous to having a video card on the pci bus, you
  still need for the kernel to drive the specific chipset of the card
  regardless if it can see it on the bus.
  I have an HTC Nexus One so I may fiddle with this and see if I can
  help some more here. I am wishful that at least we can get a tty
just
  like other gsm modems and from there it's pretty straight forward
  using wvdial or alike. If it's only the Ethernet over usb like you
  mention, then the chipset driver would have to be translated/ported
  the FBSD kernel, if it's not already there ?
 Ok. But I will clarify here:
 The HTC Android systems uses an "Internet Sharing" feature-
 essentially Google has coded in routing/nat system into the base OS
 (probably moding the leftover code already in the linux base), and is
 trying to allow similar using bluetooth and wifi at a later date as
 well. The RNDIS is a M$ system that allows sharing anything over USB
 (network, files, etc- but all essentially operated as network
anyway),
 something they've been playing with for some years- I was looking for
 an A-A USB cable since around 2003 or so to quickly transfer files
 when needed. Apparently M$ opened the specs a year or two ago and
 everyone's jumped on to use it. So where Google started was to start
 allowing the use of the router/nat via RNDIS USB - somehow this was
 easier than allowing bluetooth or wifi (probably security and
 available hardware features).
 So yes, apparently the phone hooks up as a usb mass storage device,
 uploads a file to the computer, and disconnects and becomes a network
 device. Here is the output from linux:
 usb 2-2.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
 usb 2-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
 usb-storage: device found at 4
 usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
 usb 2-2.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bb4, idProduct=0ff9
 usb 2-2.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
 usb 2-2.2: Product: Android Phone
 usb 2-2.2: Manufacturer: HTC
 usb 2-2.2: SerialNumber: SH07TNX00726
 usb-storage: device scan complete
 scsi 9:0:0:0: Direct-Access     HTC      Android Phone    0100 PQ: 0
 ANSI: 2
 sd 9:0:0:0: [sdf] Attached SCSI removable disk
 sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg6 type 0
 usb 2-2.2: USB disconnect, address 4
 usb 2-2.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
 usb 2-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
 usb 2-2.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bb4, idProduct=0ffe
 usb 2-2.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
 usb 2-2.2: Product: Android Phone
 usb 2-2.2: Manufacturer: HTC
 usb 2-2.2: SerialNumber: SH07TNX00726
 usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
 usb0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:00:04.1-2.2, RNDIS device,
 ae:f6:3d:da:20:39
 usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host
 usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_wlan
 usb0: no IPv6 routers present
 usb 2-2.2: USB disconnect, address 5
 usb0: unregister 'rndis_host' usb-0000:00:04.1-2.2, RNDIS device
 So. What would be my next step to make this work? OpenMoko have
 something similar and I tried moding some of their scripts (they've
 made theirs work with ALL OS- not just linux and Winblow$! Take heed
 manufacturers!) but it didn't mesh on the Android. I still end up
with
 a generic host.
 As I mentioned, I tried modifying the cdce driver and the device list
 but that didn't help either, so when I moded the scripts and
devd.conf
 I figured that was the missing piece of my puzzle.
 I'd actually pay someone to do this, but I do need to figure this out
 for myself anyway so I'm diving in deep and going to keep on
 struggling till I get it. I need it figured out before the year's end
 so I'm not going to sit on my laurels :) That, and a usb mass storage
 device emulator to trick a dumb digital photo frame....

So I have more on this: sourceforge.jp has a project rndis for
freebsd.

Its a little hard to navigate, but I downloaded the source code and
tried to build it on 8.0. No go, but I'm not sure what usb library its
using. I think it said usb2, but I'm not exactly sure what that meant
(usb2.0, or libusb2, whatever).

Now, I've only just quickly grabbed it and tried to make- I haven't
had a chance to look too deeply into it as yet- but these are the
errors if someone could throw me a clue as to what it might be
indicating? (wrong library? generic error I have to debug?)

if_rndis.c: In function 'rndis_recv_message':
if_rndis.c:985: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument
3 has type 'long unsigned int'
if_rndis.c: In function 'rndis_bulk_read_callback':
if_rndis.c:1167: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument
4 has type 'long unsigned int'
if_rndis.c:1187: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument
4 has type 'long unsigned int'
if_rndis.c:1204: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument
4 has type 'long unsigned int'
*** Error code 1

I did get from the site that it was for Windows Mobile, but I believe
that this is a generic system coming out now. It might help?

Cheers