installing a window manager

Justin V. vic at yeaguy.com
Wed Nov 3 16:27:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

> Up 'till now I had a server without X. I've a need however to be able to
> graphically work on that server so I thought: I install
> x11-servers/xorg.server and after that I build windowmaker (nice and light).
> However, this does not seem to be enough to get X working.
>
> Can somebody tell me what to build (with portmaster) to get a minimal X
> server station with windowmaker.
> I run 8.1/amd64 with up2date ports.
>
> Thanks

Here is what i have installed for X:

[vic at yeaguy ~]$ pkg_info | grep -i xorg
linux-f10-xorg-libs-7.4_1 Xorg libraries (Linux Fedora 10)
xorg-7.5            X.Org complete distribution metaport
xorg-apps-7.5       X.org apps meta-port
xorg-docs-1.4,1     X.org documentation files
xorg-drivers-7.5    X.org drivers meta-port
xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.5 X.Org 100dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-7.5      X.org fonts meta-port
xorg-fonts-75dpi-7.5 X.Org 75dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.5 X.Org Cyrillic bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-7.5 X.Org miscellaneous bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-truetype-7.5 X.Org TrueType fonts
xorg-fonts-type1-7.5 X.Org Type1 fonts
xorg-libraries-7.5  X.org libraries meta-port
xorg-server-1.7.5,1 X.Org X server and related programs
[vic at yeaguy ~]$

For Xorg all I did was pkg_add -r xorg and Im using Awesome WM, very
lightweight and quick.. But its not your typical WM.. Its a tiling WM, you
cant resize your windows.. really.. you organize your desktop window by
clicking in the right hand corner of the desktop.. This WM has grown on
me... give it a shot.  The purpose of it, i guess, is to elimiate wasting
your time resizing your windows..