Android usb tethering

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 1 22:25:17 UTC 2010

On 11/01/10 15:42, Mark Atkinson wrote:

> On 11/01/2010 03:54, freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au wrote:
>>
>> 	Anyone tried the data tethering feature on the Android phones?
>
> I have, it works.  Attaching via usb in the proper mode should attach
> the umodem device which you can then use the published serial device
> with the userland ppp(8).   Defining the correct section name for
> tethering can be a little daunting however.
>
> Google for things like 'telstra GSM ppp.conf' or such and then you just
> have to convert any linux scripts you find into freebsd ppp.conf.   If
> you're lucky you may find freebsd specific configurations.  Or, someone
> on the list may have one to share.

I believe it depends on the phone manufacturer. HTC phones apparently
use some kind of "Ethernet over USB" which is well supported under
Windows and Linux but not FreeBSD:

Nov  1 23:20:52 betelgeuse kernel: (da4:umass-sim1:1:0:0): lost device
Nov  1 23:20:52 betelgeuse kernel: (da4:umass-sim1:1:0:0): removing
device entry
Nov  1 23:20:53 betelgeuse root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x0bb4
product 0x0ffe bus uhub5
Nov  1 23:20:53 betelgeuse kernel: ugen4.4: <HTC> at usbus4

In the above messages, the kernel detaches the storage device (umass)
and tries to attach the new device, which doesn't have a driver so it's
attached as "ugen" - generic USB.