SATA DVD/Blu Ray on FreeBSD with Intel ICH8 SATA interface

Bruce bruce at freebsd.zuhause.org
Sun May 23 21:02:51 UTC 2010

What do I need to do to get this to work on FreeBSD 7.2?  I'm always
seeing errors like the ones below.  Would it would better on FreeBSD8?
I'd really like to be able to burn Blu Ray backups.

cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
cd0: <HL-DT-ST BD-RE  GGW-H20L YL03> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 3.300MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: MEDIUM ERROR, Medium format
corrupted
acd0: FAILURE - READ_CAPACITY MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x31 ascq=0x00