dd cloning slightly different disks

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Mar 30 16:15:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:47:44PM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Though not 100% FreeBSD centric, my question, I know that disk
> partitioning experts are around here.
> My noteook HD is a WD 5000BEVT, (500GB). Today I bought a Kingston SDnowV+
> Solid State drive, 512GB, with the intention to make my notebook a bit
> faster. It's an Intel Core 2 Duo,
> 7400 CPU.
>
> The WD disk shows as having 976773168 sectors (500108 MB),
> the SSD has 1000215216 sectors (512110 MB).
>
> At the moment I'm copying (dd) from the WD internal disk to the SSD
> which I had put into
> an external SATA Icybox.
>
> I'm hoping to be able to use my FreeBSD and Windows partitions
> afterwards somehow,
> possibly with some geometry tweaking or what. Due to the different disk
> geometry
> I'm expecting that the partition table entries will be wrong.
>
> Any clues how I should proceed when the copy will be done in 7 hours or
> so? (20MB/s
> is the transfer rate I got from a short test that I did before starting
> the big copy).

Well, this could possibly work, but I wonder why you want to do it
this way.    I would be inclined to divide the disk as desired, do
the MSW install in the first slice and then get a FeeBSD fixit and
partition the other slice and then use dump/restore to move the FreeBSD
stuff over.   That way you get the best fit for the new disk, no
worries about tweaking geometry and no loss of the amount the new
drive is bigger than the old one.

////jerry