Custom Kernel to Memory Stick

Jay Hall jhall at socket.net
Mon Mar 29 22:56:59 UTC 2010

> On Mar 29, 2010, at 10:49 AM, Jay Hall wrote:
>>
>> What would be the best way to get our custom configuration onto the
>> memory stick?

OK, I managed t get our custom configuration on to the memory stick
using dump.  After getting everything configured, what I thought was
correctly, I am able to boot from the memory stick until it is time to
mount the root partition.

When mounting the root partition from /dev/da0s1a, I receive the
following message:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot and first try the following
from the loader prompt:

I have tried the suggested courses of action without any success.

If I type ufs:/dev/da0s1a I receive the ROOT MOUNT ERROR again.

Following is what I have done to create the bootable memory stick.

Created two partitions on the memory stick each about 2 GB.
sysinstall was used for this.

Used bsdlabel to create the necessary labels on the memory stick.
sysinstall was used for this.

Ran newfs as on all of the labels.  This was done from the command
prompt.

Once everything was created, I mounted the memory stick and created an
image of my working installation using dump.

boot0cfg was run on the memory stick.  boot0cfg -v -B -o noupdate da0

Modified the fstab on the memory stick as follows

/dev/da0s1a 	/ 	rw,noatime	0	0

Everything other than the operating system was left on the hard drive.

If anyone has any suggestions how to fix this, please let me know.  I
am out of ideas.  Or, if you can direct me to a howto, that would be
fine also.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Jay