Marvell Yukon Driver for Hp notebook??

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Mon Mar 29 19:42:27 UTC 2010

On 03/29/2010 10:05 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Kaya Saman wrote:
>> On 03/29/2010 07:20 AM, Kaya Saman wrote:
>>> Thanks for the response Warren!!

>>> No.

>>> pciconf -lv says
>>>
>>> Vendor: Marvell Semiconductor (Was Galileo Technology LTD)
>>> Class: Network
>>> Subclass: Ethernet
>
> [please don't top-post, it makes responding more work]

Sorry!

When you mean 'top post' do you mean writing something after replying or
posting at the 'top' of the original information??? Apologies am
unfamiliar with the term!

> What is needed is the line just before the Vendor, with the card and
> chip IDs.  Then compare it against the list of cards the FreeBSD msk
> driver supports:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=msk&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.0-RELEASE&format=html

I will try to obtain this tomorrow as I left the CD at work :-(

>> Well.... I managed to go to Marvell and get the FreeBSD 7.0 x64
>> driver and use my USB key to get the driver into the machine:
>
> Wait, the (binary|proprietary?) driver for FreeBSD 7.0 is almost
> certainly not going to work on FreeBSD 8.0.

Yeah I messed the system up completely now and attempted to recover it
with FreeSBIE based on BSD 6.0 which doesn't even start for some strange
reason. Can't mount the CD it says?? Any other system I've tried manages.

>> I then installed it using the instructions provided in the README.txt
>> file and now I can't even boot BSD any more :-(
>>
>> I get total kernel panic with a complete system lockup.
>>
>> I'm not sure if I will be able to recover from this or if I will need
>> a total re-install but so far BSD seems completely hosed on my
>> machine :-(
>
> You may be able to unload that kernel module before booting.  If it's
> a kernel module; don't know.  The one Marvell card I have in a
> notebook is supported by the open FreeBSD msk driver thanks to Pyun
> YongHyeon.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

If I could just mount the hard drive I could remove the statement in
/boot/modules.conf

Unfortunately all I have available to me is Linux and Windows 7 which I
don't think will be much use!

Kaya