random FreeBSD panics

Masoom Shaikh masoom.shaikh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 14:42:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 28 March 2010 13:18, Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wild shot - did you try disabling superpages?
>>
>> umm, how do I do that ?
>
> Set
>
> vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled=0
>
> in /boot/loader.conf and reboot. Report back if it helps or not.

nopes, this didn't help too, machine freezed again after using for 30
minutes or so
all it was doing is playing amarok, fetching sources from svn repos,
and using firefox

lets assume if this is h/w problem, then how can other OSes overcome
this ? is there a way to make FreeBSD ignore this as well, let it
result in reasonable performance penalty.