Enough Is Enough

Svein Skogen (Listmail Account) svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Sat Mar 27 19:28:26 UTC 2010

On 27.03.2010 20:10, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 01:28:26PM -0500, Programmer In Training wrote:
>> On 03/27/10 13:06, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> In /usr/ports/UPDATING look for the 20100205 entry for "users of Qt 3
>>> and KDE 3".
>>
>> Pointless in as far as that does not address the underlying problem of
>> rebuilding EVERYTHING that needs to link against the jpeg library. GIMP
>> and gegl failed because a dependency for it is linked against jpeg-7 and
>> not jpeg-8.
>>
>> If I cannot basically reinstall the entire system via portupgrade -a I'm
>> reduced to fixing the problem ad-hoc and that is unacceptable because
>> eventually I'll have to deal with programs that link to whatever just
>> got rebuilt. In essence, this is a problem that is not easily solved
>> just by reading /usr/ports/UPDATING for Qt because it involves more than
>> Qt (by the way, thanks for the hat tip on Qt, but it's not high on my
>> priority list for being fixed right now, GIMP, Scribus and possibly a
>> few other apps that I'm currently unaware of there being an issue with
>> ARE).
>
> So don't use portupgrade if doesn't do what is needed.
>
> The simple solution is to *first* deinstall *all* ports (or at least
> all ports that depend, directly or indirectly, on jpeg in this case)
> and then reinstall them all.  This might require a bit more manual
> intervention than using portupgrade would have, but on the other hand
> it is almost guaranteed to work correctly every time.
>
> The problems you are running into is essentially due to trying to build
> updated binaries while still having old binaries installed (and having
> this trigger bugs in the build mechanism of various ports.)
> If you first remove all the old binaries and then build new ones you
> avoid many potential problems.

portupgrade -afr jpeg-8

there, done.

//Svein

--
--------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein at d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein at jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein at stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein at jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile at stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/