gnome gdm diable_user_list

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sat Mar 27 06:37:02 UTC 2010

On 26/03/2010 3:42 ?.?., n dhert wrote:
> FreeBSD8.0, gnome2-2.28.2_1, using gdm to login.
> Gdm login screen presents a list of all users on the system to choose from.
> I don't want the list, just a prompt for a username and password.
> I tried
> # gconf-editor
> this graphical config program allows to set in apps / gdm / simple-greeter
> the setting  'disable_user_list' to checked (default is not checked)
> after setting it to checked, closing the program, rebooting
> I still have the user list at the gdm login window.
> I verified with starting the gconf-editor again: the option is still checked
> ..
> (also $ gconftool-2 -R /apps/gdm/simple-greeter shows: disable_user_list =
> true )
>
> Why do I still have the user list?
> How to fix?

gconf-editor changes the settings of the current user, the gdm settings
are global (system) so should be changed by root or the user gdm is
running in.
I don't currently have gdm on any of my systems but AFAIR there is a gdm
user created for running the greeter.  You should be able to change the
disable_user_list setting for this user which will have the desired
effect. Something along the lines of this blog post
http://lionlix.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/hack-ubuntu-9-10-disabling-userlist-in-gdm-login-screen/
should work.