OT: Keystrokes stick every ~1500 strokes

Joe R. Jah jjah at cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us
Sat Mar 27 00:18:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

Since last Monday my ssh connections started working erraticly.  Today I
tested it by holding down a key until it stops printing, and made several
itterations; it turns out that ~1500 key strokes print on the screen; then
it stops responding for several seconds; then it spits out ~25 missed
keystrokes.

It's probably not the number of key strokes but the length of time it
takes to hold down a key until characters stop showing on the screen; the
number turns out to be ~1500.  I have the same problem on several
different servers, Solaris, HP Unix, FreeBSD, Linux, so it's definitely
not the server setup; it's the network.

Last Monday our netadmin retired from networking and we got a new netadmin.
I have already reported it to the new netadmin, but he doesn't seem to
know what he's done wrong. Is there anything I can check from my servers
to figure out what the new netadmin has done wrong?

Here's the ifconfig output of my FreeBSD server's active interface:

# ifconfig bce0
bce0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=3b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU>
        inet <myIP> netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast <myNetmask>
        ether 00:3e:0c:bc:c5:13
        status: active

Please advise.

Regards,