popd to send Mail to a Mac; I Really Appreciate this list.

mikel king mikel.king at olivent.com
Fri Mar 26 15:19:36 UTC 2010

On Mar 26, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	It looks like imap is more suitable for what I am trying
> to do than pop. There may be a slight issue in the fact that I
> use .forward to trigger procmail which has the effect of
> instantly snatching up every piece of incoming mail and putting
> it in to a nmh folder that resides in /home/%user/Mail/%folder
> which means /var/mail is always empty. I just created another
> user which won't have any .forward or procmail attention.
> Forwarding messages to this user will make them hang in
> /var/mail/%user and those should be available to imap.
>
> 	On the Mac, I will be reading that user's mail via imap
> to retrieve the messages.
>
> Martin McCormick

You should be able to subscribe to the folder in question directly
under IMAP for the specific account. I used to do this all the time.
It really depend on how you roll out your IMAP service, and which one
you go with. Either way procmail can filter can sort the message into
IMAP folders so that you can just pick them up via an IMAP client.

Cheers,
Mikel King
CEO, Olivent Technologies
Senior Editor, BSD News Network