8.0 amd64 - Royally screwed up MBR (My own fault)

Gene fbsd at brightstar.bomgardner.net
Wed Mar 24 21:32:41 UTC 2010

Greetings - (not a draft notice)

First thanks to those who responded to my previous question.

Next...

I was attempting to install 8.0 amd64 w/ZFS. I used instructions from the wiki
and when I had trouble, I decided to beat a strategic retreat and just do a
"vanilla" install. Problem was that either fdisk didn't recognize the mbr
after all the 'gpart create'-ing or simply couldn't start newfs. (Something
about not being able to find an initial inode.) I figured 'gpart destroy ad0'
might fix things but no such luck. fdisk -I ad0 also errors out saying "unable
to locate class".

Does anyone know of a simple (brute force?) way to restore simple. standard
MBRs without having to resort to a hex editor? (I will if I have to, but I'd
rather not.)

Thanks for any assistance...

IHN,
Gene

--
To everything there is a season,
And a time to every purpose under heaven.