12 TB Disk In freebsd AMD 64 ?

Ian Lord lordi at msdi.ca
Mon Mar 22 14:08:25 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am planning to build a 12x 1TB array RAID 6 on a hardware controller... I will use it as a nfs server for archiving files (we need to keep legal files for 6 years)...

Raid 6 will give me a 10 TB drive approx...

Reading these pages:

http://www.freebsd.org/projects/bigdisk/index.html <http://www.freebsd.org/projects/bigdisk/index.html>
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-adding.html <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-adding.html>

I kinda understand freebsd is not well suited for that. I can read between the lines that we shouldn't go over 2TB. Is this information still exact or outdated ?

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to boot on that megadrive so I planned on having 2 smaller disk on raid 1, but I want to make sure the big disk will work and will be reliable.

Could someone comment please ?

Thanks in advance

Ian Lord

MSD Informatique

143 Rue des Fauvettes

St-Colomban (Québec) J5K 0E2

Tél: (514) 776-MSDI              -> (514) 776-6734

Sans Frais: 1(877) 776-MSDI -> 1(877) 776-6734

http://www.msdi.ca <http://www.msdi.ca>