sftp server with speed throttling

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 13:53:18 UTC 2010

What are my options if I want to run an sftp server with speed
throttling? My understanding is that openssh (which includes sftp) in
base does not support this directly, so I would have to either use a
custom kernel with ALTQ (and I would really rather stick to GENERIC so
I can use freebsd-update) which sounds like a bit too much
configuration work or pass sftp traffic through PF and throttle it
(ugly, would also affect ssh traffic).

Are there any sftp servers with directly built-in functionality for
this? I just would to be able to set limits for upload speed globally
for the entire server and preferably to also be able to do speed
settings on a per-user basis.

Thanks.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov