FreeBSD 8.0 Booting Problem on ZV5320US Laptop

Anoop Kumar Narayanan anoop.kn at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 10:53:00 UTC 2010

<richard.delaurell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you able to get to the FreeBSD splash screen (where you get a countdown
> to startup with a menu of 6 selections)?

Yes, It doesn't go beyond that selection most of the time.

> One of the choices there is boot w/o ACPI; you could try that if you get
> that far.

That is exactly where I am, at that screen when I make the selection
(any selection) it just pauses for about 30 Secs before the computer
shuts down. Tried all options including 'set hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"'
followed by 'boot' at the loader prompt. Its more or less 1 successful
boot in 7 attempts, totally random, not dependent on w/o ACPI is
picked or not, sometimes it just works with verbose logging or normal
boot.

It is definitely something to do with the RESET BIOS timer (If at all
there is anything like that) expiring before FreeBSD kernel can fully
load or something... Thank you HP !

-Anoop