make buildworld runs out of space

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Mar 18 01:08:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:38:06 -0700 (PDT), Bill Tillman <btillman99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I rebuilt the machines with 1G / and all was well. But one
> shouldn't have to do this as 512M for / should be adequate.

It's not only the new kernel - a backup of the previous
existing kernel is kept in /boot (and so on /). If you
suppress this, all should be fine, but maybe dangerous
in case your new kernel doesn't boot as intended.

In this case, the subject "make buildworld runs out of
space" may lead to a misunderstanding; according to what
you stated, "make installkernel" was the operation
causing the out of space problem.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany