Which version of FreeBSD is it?

Svein Skogen (Listmail Account) svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Wed Mar 17 17:11:28 UTC 2010

On 17.03.2010 18:03, Bas v.d. Wiel wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:36:38 +0100, Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki at ceti.pl> wrote:
>> Антон Клесс wrote:
>>> That is what I suspected for.
>>>
>>> What is the most safe way to upgrade it, remembering that this is
>>> production
>>> server and I have to keep it working properly?
>>>
>>> 6.2-RC1 -> 6.2 RELEASE -> 7.2 RELEASE -> 8.0 RELEASE, or somehow in this
>>> style?
>>>
>> If it works, do not fix it!
>
> I beg to differ: having a release candidate running in production should
> never happen so this situation has been sort of broken from the start.
> Luckily FreeBSD is a rock solid OS!
>

>> Actually, I'm facing exactly the same problem now: I want to upgrade
>> 6.2-RELEASE to something (8.0?) newer.
>>
>> Since I don't have spare machine for tests, I'm playing now with
>> VirtualBox (hosted on Linux). I'd like to test upgrade using
>> cvsup/buildworld. After I will success on virtualbox I'll perform the
>> same path on real machine.
>
> Making an image backup of the machine's disk before you start should give
> you a decent rollback scenario in case things go badly.

Wouldn't a RELENG_6 (i.e. 6-Stable) from the "correct" date actually be
6.2-RC1? I'd say that unless the box has stability issues, or there are
actual security problems (is this box available from the internet?), the
old "if it ain't broken ..." mantra should apply...

//Svein

- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein at d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein at jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein at stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein at jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile at stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/